I love acai bowls. I like to think of them as natures's sundaes. And who doesn't love sundaes? Except, unlike your regular sundaes, acai bowls are filled with antioxidants, amino acids, and omega fatty acids that make you feel awesome from the inside out. Fun fact, recent studies at the University of Florida show that there are 50-75 active natural compounds in acai that have yet to be identified.
The most important part obviously is the your acai base. The acai packets aren't very substantial so I always add frozen fruit to it, usually a frozen banana. I always use frozen bananas because they give it a nice, thick consistency. If your acai base is too liquid-y all the toppings will sink.
- 2 acai packets (i usually use Samzabon)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/3 cup non dairy milk (I love coconut milk for this) you can play around with the amount you use depending on how thick you want it
- if you use unsweetened acai or milk I like to throw in a date or a few drops of stevias
Now add your toppings! Here are some of my favorites:
- Coconut flakes
- Goji berries
- Cacao nibs
- Sliced bananas
- Any kind of fruit really, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, papaya, mango, etc
- Bee pollen
- Hemp seeds
- Granola (I love Purely Elizabeth and the Cacao Crunch from Whole Foods)
- Chia seed
- Drizzle of coconut oil (i love drizzling coconut oil on my bowls, it freezes and makes like a coconut-y shell)
Remember, you don't only have to make these for breakfast. I've been making them for almost every meal, especially lately when it's been too hot to cook.