Running In The Heat
Not gonna lie, these past few three weeks have been really hard and humbling. I'm hoping it's just the heat and humidity. My last two long runs have both been in days where the high has been in the 90s. Uggghhh. My pace per mile has also been slower then normal and I've been been having to take some breaks. After some extensive Googling I found that this is completely normal in the summer. For every 5°F rise in temperature above 60°F your pace can slow down by as much as 20 to 30 seconds per mile. Thank goodness. I thought I was regressing. Big ups to anyone training down south, I don't know how you do it. So for now, my long runs have been pushed earlier and earlier to beat the heat. Also, another fun bonus for running in NYC, usually when it gets super hot out there is a air quality advisory.
Here are some ways to run safely in the heat
1. Try to go as early as possible. Even though I plan my long runs on my days off, I try to go as early as possible. I'm talking 7am. I can always take a nap later.
2. Try to find as shady a route as possible. After a super hot, sun scorching run down Flatbush, we decided to do our next run in the shade of Prospect Park. Much better. Shady park will always beat the unshaded, blinding concrete.
3. Drink early and often. I've been drinking an electrolyte drink before the run and during the run. (I like Nuun) You lose a lot of electrolytes through sweat and regular water just doesn't cut it. I also try to drink every 15 minutes or so. On my longer runs or when it's crazy hot I use a handheld water holder. I really like this one by Ultimate Direction.
4. Wear as little as possible. Also choose breathable, sweat wicking fabrics. Also, don't forget your SPF, hat, and sunglasses.
5. If you need to, take it inside. Living in NYC, there are some cool indoor running studios like Mile High Run Club. If you don't live in NYC you can always hit the treadmill. Pinterest has some good treadmill works outs if you want to do some speed work.
Hope everyone is having a safe and awesome summer!