10 Ways To Go Vegan
So maybe you are thinking of doing a vegan January (Veguary? Vegnuary? Is that a word?) Or maybe you've been reading about how NBA players are going vegan. Or you heard that Miley Cyrus is vegan. More and more people are waking up to the benefits of going plant based. It doesn't have to be a scary thing to go vegan. You definitely won't just be eating salads. A plant based lifestyle is such an abundant lifestyle with so many food choices. You probably eat tons of vegan food and meals and just don't even realize it.
I've compiled a list of 10 ways to easily transition into a vegan lifestyle that I hope will help you
10 ways to go vegan
- Find your why. Is if for ethical reasons? Is it for your health? For the environment? To help with your athletic achievements? Or all of the above? Figuring out why you want to go vegan helps, especially when well meaning friends and family ask why.
- Start slow. Maybe start with a meatless Monday. Or vegan before six. Find a few vegan recipes to try. Slowly start replacing non vegan products with vegan products. Slowly easing into it means you're more likely to stick with it.
- Get excited. Get some new cookbooks, read some vegan blogs. I love Minimalist Baker's blog and cookbook and use it on the reg.
- Educate yourself. Google is your friend. There is so much information out there. Tons of good blogs and documentaries to watch. I’m constantly reading. Some good books to start with are How Not To Die, The China Study, Eat To Live, and My Beef With Meat.
- Find some vegan friends. If you don’t know anyone who is vegan, look online. I’ve made tons of vegan friends through instagram.
- Try out some vegan restaurants. I'm so lucky to live in NYC, there are so many vegan restaurants. Go on Yelp or Google and find some new places to eat.
- Start with small swaps. Earth Balance for butter. Almond milk for dairy milk. Vegan cheese for regular cheese. The amount of vegan products out there is insane compared to just a few years ago. No more plastic fake cheese! Follow Your Heart and Violife are delicious.
- Make plants your friend. Try some new vegetables. Roast a big batch of veggies for the week. Get creative. Start filling your plate with greens, roasted veggies, hearty salads and crowding out the animal products.
- Don’t worry about protein. I’ve been vegan for 16 years and run ultramarathons and I never worry about my protein. Do some research on how much protein people need and you’ll find that you will get enough from protein rich veggies and greens, quinoa, nuts, hemp seeds, and tofu. Still worried? Find a good plant based protein like Vega or Aloha. A good book to read is Proteinaholic.
- Don’t be a jerk. Don’t make comments or put down people who still eat meat or dairy. You don’t want comments about your diet and other people don’t want comments about theirs. I like to be the lighthouse: being happy and healthy and shining so much that people come to you and THEN you tell them about being vegan. Trust me, it works so much better.
I hope this helps you or someone you know transition into a plant based lifestyle. Hit me up in the comments if you have questions!