Let's Talk Protein Powders!
One of the biggest questions I get IRL and online is about protein powders so I thought breaking down a few of the ones I use or have used would be helpful. There are a million plant based proteins out there. Even when I was working on this I kept finding new one I wanted to try so there's probably going to be a part two to this coming up.
My requirements for the protein powders:
- had to be easily accessible (either on amazon, target, or offered with free shipping)
- gluten free
- gmo free
- no crazy chemicals
Also, I only tried out the vanilla flavored version of each.
Vega - $29.99
- 1.20 per serving with 25 servings
- Protein 20 grams
- Protein Source Pea, hemp and rice
- Taste Very vanilla. Almost reminded me of cake batter. Slightly chalky.
- Texture Smooth
- Pros Added spinach, kale and broccoli powder. No sugar.
- Cons Vanilla can over power other flavors in smoothies.
- Side Note: I'm a big fan of the Vega Recovery Protein after super long runs or intense workouts.
Aloha - $23.99
- 1.60 per serving 15 servings
- Protein 18 grams
- Protein source Pea, pumpkin, hemp
- Taste mild vanilla
- Texture slightly gritty if you use it in a shaker, but if you blend it in a smoothie it’s smoother.
- Pros 200g omega-3s, non gmo, no stevia
- Cons texture could be smoother
- Side Note this was really good in overnight oats and protein pancakes.
Vegan Smart $23.52
- 1.56 per serving 15 serving
- Protein 20 grams
- Protein source pea, hemp, chia, chlorella, potato
- Taste this one had the best taste with a very mild vanilla.
- Texture smooth
- Pros Prebiotics and added digestive enzymes
- Cons each serving was two big scoops so I felt like there was a lot of filler.
- Side Note was super good when I made protein pancakes. Liked this one so much I can't wait to try the chocolate flavor.
Moon Juice $35
- $1.75 per serving 20 servings
- Protein 20grams
- Protein Source Brown rice protein
- Taste Super mild vanilla flavor
- Texture Slight grittiness
- Pros Not a lot of filler. Very minimal ingredients. Way into the added cordyceps and reishi.
- Cons Most expensive of what I tried.
- $1.13 per serving 40 servings
- Protein 17grams
- Protein Source pea, cranberry, hemp
- Taste Super stevia tasting. Vanilla was fair.
- Texture Grainy
- Pros complete amio acid profile.
- Cons Wasn’t wild on the taste to be honest. I would rather it be unsweetened.
I hope this helps answer some of the questions and gives your smoothies some extra protein love!
Also, I like to mix up which powders I use so I don't build up an intolerance to one of them. Same reason why I make different smoothies everyday. Also, don't feel like you have to use protein powder in every smoothie you make! I usually only put protein in after I workout or if I'm super hungry.
Ok bbs happy blending!