Marathon Training Essentials
So marathon training season is in full effect. Here are some of my favorites that I use all the time.
- GU ROCTANE ULTRA ENDURANCE ENERGY GEL - I usually switch it up between this and Endurance Tap, but have been really liking how this has been making me feel during my runs. Endurance Tap tastes better, but I feel better during my runs with the GU. I take one every 45 minutes during my long runs.
- GU ROCTANE BCAAS - I had really no idea what BCAAs were and what they did until I was listening to a podcast and they started talking about how essential BCAAS are. Branch-Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs) help to reduce muscle fatigue, speed recovery, and decrease the loss of other amino acids from muscle during exercise. They also can assist in breaking down carbohydrates for energy, metabolizing proteins, and reducing nausea. I take two of these before my long run or before any speed work and I can totally feel the difference. I take them after my long runs and my legs definitely feel better. Less like the Tin Man.
- NUUN ELECTROLYTE TABLETS- I put one of these tablets in my water bottle to help replenish electrolytes that are lost through sweat. They help prevent cramps, nausea, and fatigue. If you are sweating a lot or if it crazy hot outside you need to replenish your electrolytes.
- FLIPBELT - So I know it's not the most stylish thing in the world but it does carry everything I need during my runs, plus it doesn't bounce all over the place. There's a little keychain in there for me to clip my keys which is nice. I usually put my phone, keys and I've put up to five gels in there.
- ULTIMATE DIRECTION SOFT BOTTLE - I love these. Since they are soft I can jam one in my FLIP BELT and carry water with me. On shorter runs I've held one in my hand and preferred it to my old hand held.
- ZENSAH COMPRESSION LEG SLEEVES - I know that there is debate around if compression socks help or not, but for me I think they do. I've gotten shin splints in the past and these have helped tremendously. I like to put them on after a long day or after leg day. After hard runs I've even slept in them.
Hope you guys found this helpful! Let me know in the comments!